Friday, October 5, 2007

A Good Day

October 5, 2007

Today has been a really good day.

I had a little break through at the orphanage today, in two different situations. With the kids whoa re completely functional; it has been really hard to know what to do with them or how to work with them. Since I dont speak Romanian I have had a hard time communicating with them or getting to know them. Today I figured out a way that I can be teaching them but also gaining their trust at the same time. I starting teaching them and playing a shape game with them. I would say the name of the shape and then all of the kids would take turn solving the puzzle. It was also good because it is helping them be happy and cheer for one another, after each child would go we would clap and say “Bravo, Bravo!” for them. It made them all giggle and smile. I was happy that we were all working together. Also I have been trying to reach this little girl named Izabella. She is severely handicapped. When stimulated she hits her face really hard and has bruises all over her face because of it. She cannot speak and is completely blind with one completely clouded eye. She can be sort of intimidating and scary to look at. Often times she is forgotten in the corner because the workers just do not want to deal with her. So everyday I make a conscious effort when I go in to touch her face and say “Buna Ziwa Iza!” so she knows that I am here and that I am soft and nice. I bring a toy for her to play with and through out the day I go and touch her face and say hello. SO I have been doing this for about two weeks with no reaction. Today I go and spend a little time with her and I actually got her to smile and even laugh for a small moment. For the instant it really sort of uplift me and show me that I really was making a difference. It was amazing.


I also got some pictures of my new little nephew Dyson. Can I just say that he is absolutely adorable. He has Jessica's nose and chin and the rest of his face looks a lot like Derrek's. Oh he is so cute. It makes me home sick to see him. I just want to go and hold him.


We are having our girls night tonight instead of tomorrow, so we made Crepes. They were so good. We got this jam stuff from one of the sisters in the branch and it was amazing!


Today was a good day...

No comments: