Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A change of heart

September 11, 2007


I went to the hospital for the first time today. What an incredible experience. When we visit the hospital we first ask if there are any children without mothers. Once we know where they are we go and play with them and talk to them. We first went to a room of a baby boy named Ozmond. He was probably only about a year and a half but was absolutely beautiful. He had eyelashes that were about an inch long and the biggest brown eyes you will ever see. I fell in love with him the moment I saw him. When I was playing with him he would call me “mommy”. It made me cry to think that I was the closest thing to a mother that he has ever had. That the “blue scrubs” meant love and happiness for him. It was these moments that I came to Romania for. The moments were you see the difference the program is making and that happiness that I am bringing to this baby who knows me not as the stranger that I am but as his “mommy”. It is so humbling to think of the magnitude of that word. It means so much more than the three letters it is made up of let on.

In visiting the hospital it was hard to swallow the conditions and the idea that if these children were receiving care in a more advanced hospital that they might be healthier and happier. We visited some older boys that had some pretty severe accidents or surgeries. Their casts and bandages looked liked what they were used in WWII. It was shocking. Not that I should have expected something different but just the fact that it was there right in front of my face and I knew or could know ways that might be better to treat the patient. Yet this is the only way they know,and they are happy so I try and bring a little more happiness to these orphans lives. I give them balloons and one on one time. Some attention that they will not receive for the rest of the day. The lives of these orphans is one that I could never imagine. They must feel so alone at times. While here I want to fill that void. I never thought in an instant I could love these children so much...

It was my night to cook. I attempted at making a little Taco Soup, Romanian style. Since they were lacking a few items in the G Market I made a few substitutes . Such as making homemade tortilla chips, which turned out really very good. I was very proud of myself:) We are now watching “Bride and Prejudice” Karlie would be proud....ha ha ha it is a little crazy. And the chest hair is definitely flowing.ew. Did I mention that one of our favorite Lostees, Sayid, is in this. Who knew he could sing and dance?



1 comment:

Stephanie said...

So I just have to tell you that my roommates totally turned on "Bride and Prejudice" on Saturday! I must confess, I was rather happy when the DVD was scratched and viewing had to cease. :) So glad that you're blogging! I need you to a)either respond to my email with your phone # or b)post your phone number. And when you're online, sign into gmail chat so we can talk! It definitely got me through my summer in Europe. Glad you're having such a neat experience. Love ya sis!